Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2018

A WEEKEND WITH A WRITER - NEAL SHUSTERMAN

Neal Shusterman

I was introduced to Neal Shusterman as an author about five years ago when I read one of my all time favorite books Unwind.  It was an experience I will never forget.  Afterward I continued to recommend it, and the book club that my then librarian and I had started, read it as a group.  The amazing story of Connor, Riesa, and Lev's journey to escape the fate of so many other unwanted youths who were unwound is non-stop action.  This story has stood the test of many a reader.  It is one of my go to booktalks for all, even adults.  

As my fandom increased, I took a turn reading parts of the Dark Fusion Trilogy starting with DreadLocks which is combo of Goldilocks and Medusa; and Everlost part of the Skinjacker Trilogy.  Not only can Shusterman spin a suspenseful sci-fi mashup of fairy tales and myths, but he can also weave into all his stories the bigger life lessons that leave you contemplating the larger issues of life especially when he writes in conjunction with his children.

Challenger Deep was my top pick of a book to read last year.  It was also awarded the National Book Award.  This heart-wrenching story of Caden Bosch follows him as he descends into a schizophrenic break as well as to the bottom of the Marina Trench.  Alternating between real life and Caden's delusions, the reader is never really sure of what is reality.  The power of this novel caused me to change how I view the world.  It was amazing.

At the moment, I'm deep into Scythe which is a book about the perfect society where computer technology allows people to live forever.  There is a problem with over population so the society has founded an organization to pick a certain amount of people to die every year depending upon certain factors.  Two teens are challenged to learn the art of being a Scythe.  One will win, but neither desire it.  

Anytime I'm asked who my favorite author is, I always say Shusterman!  Who is yours? 

Here is a link to his amazing website.  Check out what is coming on Film and TV.  
http://www.storyman.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment